Regimental Colors of the 100th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry Regiment, "The Roundheads"
First Colors of the Roundheads
1st Flag of the 100th Pennsylvania Volunteers, sewn by the Horstman Brothers in December of 1861 and presented to the regiment July 29, 1862 by Brig. General Isaac Stevens.
During the fighting in the Battle of the Crater on July 30, 1864, the 100th Penn. was heavily engaged and was one of the last regiments to leave the shelter of the hole to retreat to the Union lines when Confederate troops recaptured the position. The battered state color suffered extensive damage this day. A large portion of the silk-the top half of the canton and most of the five upper stripes including the designation 100th Regt. P.V. was shot away from the remainder of the flag. It fell into the loose dirt of the Crater and was later seized as a war trophy by Captain R. L. Kilby of the 16th Virginia.
Meanwhile, when the bearer fell, Richard P. Craven now a lieutenant in Company K, seized the remnant of the flag and handed it to Captain James L. McFeeters for safekeeping. Moments later, a shell burst nearby and instantly killed and obliterated Lieutenant Craven. At some point in the action, the staff was broken into three pieces. When the remnant of the 100th scampered back to safety, Captain McFeeters carried back what little was left of the state color.
Thereafter, the regiment fought at the Weldon Railroad (August 19) and at Poplar Spring Church (September 30). A replacement flag arrived in October and the treasured remnant of the first color was sent north for safekeeping. Owing to it's condition, it was not used in the 1866 parade. In 1905 the War Department returned the portion captured at the Crater. The veteran's association of the 100th Infantry complained that their flag had never been captured, so Deputy Adjutant-General Frank D. Beary opened the glass case containing the remnant, laid it out on a table, then opened the package from the War Department. Beary and the veterans present then saw that both pieces were from the same flag, and they were placed together.
Photo Courtesy of Carl A. Clink taken at the Harrisburg, PA Museum
2nd Colors of the Roundheads
2nd Flag of the 100th Pennsylvania Volunteers, sewn by Evans and Hassall on September 28, 1864 and presented to the regiment in October of 1864. This flag was in full regalia during the Roundheads charge of Fort Stedman, March 25, 1865.
Regiments, North and South routinely placed the names of the battles they fought in on their colors as a trophy or symbol of courage and bravery. Note the name COAL HARBOR on the upper shot of the flag. History records the name of this battle as "Cold Harbor". The soldiers apparently called the location "Coal Harbor".
Photos taken by Carl A. Clink at the Harrisburg, PA Museum
National Colors of Company C
From: "Advance the Colors", Volume 2, Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags, Richard A. Sauers, Capitol Preservation Committee
On August 7, 1861, the citizens of Portersville and Muddy Creek Township, Butler County, presented a national color to Company C. This flag was carried by the company until October 15, 1864, when it was given to Private Frederick Bauder for safekeeping. It remained with this veteran until his death in 1919 and then was given to Mr. H. E. Haberling of Portersville. This man donated the flag to the Commonwealth in June 1921.
Replica Colors, Company A Living History Organization
Rich Harner, Co. A, 100th PA Civil War Living History (re-enacting) organization holding replica flag with all the battles participated in. This flag is a replica of the flag received by the unit in 1864 after the original flag was shattered and shredded by an exploding shell at the Battle of the Crater.
This site was last updated 01/02/13