1901 Roundhead Reunion in Mercer, PA: New Castle News Article


Contributed and Transcribed for the 100th Pennsylvania Website by Tami McConahy


                        NEW CASTLE NEWS

                                                               12 PAGES

VOLUME XXIII-NO. 19.           NEW CASTLE, PA., WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28, 1901.    $1.00 A YEAR



Civil War Veterans Lived Over

Again the Incidents, of

the Great War.


The Roundhead veterans were most heartily welcomed at Mercer Wednesday on the occasion of the 36th annual reunion of that regiment. A large number of the Roundheads from this city and county, were in attendance, and a special train brought them home in the evening.

The day was all that could be desired and the people of Mercer showed the visitors every hospitality. The veterans of Mercer were drawn up in line at the station when the train from this city arrived. Preceded by the Mercer band the Civil war veterans marched to the public square.

There ranks were broken before the Humes House, which was the headquarters of the day. The visiting soldiers were provided with dinner and supper by the people of Mercer.

The regimental meeting was held at the opera house in the afternoon, and that building was decorated effectively with flags and bunting. The entire town in fact, presented a gala appearance, as decorations of a patriotic character were freely displayed from business houses and private dwellings.

George Kelso of Mercer, president of the Roundhead association, called the opera house assemblage to order at 1:30 o'clock. At that time nearly every seat was filled in spite of the heat, which was most oppressive. J.C. Stevenson of this city, secretary of the association, occupied the platform with the president, and in the rear of the presiding officers was grouped a chorus of young ladies, who rendered several vocal selections very effectively.

The meeting was opened by an invocation, delivered by Rev. Dr. Thomas W. Douglass, of Grove City, one of the Roundhead boys, and the choir and audience together sang "America."

Hon. J. G. White of Mercer, then made the address of welcome to the men of the Roundhead regiment.

"Comrades," he said, "it is my duty and my pleasure to receive you in old Mercer, and we beg of you to consider this no ordinary favor, for we are a seclusive, as well as exclusive people.

"The eminence upon which Mercer rests has retarded its growth by keeping out the railroads and so it is not a manufacturing center. However, in other ways Mercer does not fail. Her hospitality is proverbial, and the Roundheads are welcomed as men whom the people of this place will delight to honor.

"You Roundheads are not unknown here. For two-score years and more we have heard your praises, as men who acquitted yourselves with every possible honor and distinction during the long and dark days of the Civil war.

"The people of Mercer have followed your career with interest since the old 100th regiment was formed. Through every battle and hardship the prayers of the people of Mercer followed you. I am not an historian, but I wish to show that we know and honor you; that we know your record, to your credit. Gentlemen, accept the keys of the town. You can have everything but the keys of the jail, which no soldier is permitted to enter. The people of Mercer will remember this reunion. I do not stand here and advocate war. It is cruel and wicked; in most cases simply wholesale murder. "Thou shalt not kill," to a command direct from God yet you soldiers did not participate in war waged against the Divine will, but one that was fought for the grand principles of human liberty. The soldiers of the Republic fought for a cause that was sacred. Had it been a war for a selfish purpose, it would not have so covered you with glory.

"The purpose for which a war is waged is all that can ever make it justifiable and no struggle for conquest alone is (illegible.)

"The conflict in which you were engaged was solely to preserve the principles for which your forefathers shed their blood. Our government was established on the basis of equality of all its citizens, who were endowed by certain inalienable rights.

"There were mistakes, however, in the great constitution which stands as the bulwark of the nation. Certain matters had not bee n clearly understood, and one of its faults was the allowing of human beings to be held as chattels. This was a weakness that later caused the blood of thousands of patriotic men to be shed on many a battlefield before it was rectified.

"Owing to the weakness of the general government, at the outset, it was a disputed point in the earlier days of the nation as to whether or not separate states could withdraw from the union, without the consent of the others.

"Whether this was right or not was one of the points decided by the giant conflict between the north and the south. Had you men not won in that struggle, what would have been the result? Today we form the most powerful government in the world. Had the Confederate arms gained the victory in the sixties, we would have had at least two governments here instead of one, and perhaps those two might by this time have been sub-divided into a half dozen or more petty governments, all of which would be without power or influence in the affairs of the world.

"That you men were right in 1861 is shown by the events of later years. Would we have been so prospered had not our cause been just? No, never. We could not have had the strength, but from on High, to take our place as the foremost people of the earth, and we would not have been able to humble haughty and tyrannical old Spain with such ease, had we not been battling for the right.

"Some doubt whether we should take the Philippines. We should. It is the duty devolving upon us directly from God to extend to all the world the blessings of a republican form of government.

"The human race at large has the right to all the blessings we now enjoy, and we must not refuse to assist them to secure them. Some contend that the (illegible ) are not yet able to appreciate or comprehend our principles, but we must teach them. this is our heritage from God, to spread to all the peoples of the world the blessings of liberty won or us in the Revolution.

"However, not all the great world questions have yet been decided. There is now the question of capital and labor which must so it be settled, once for all.

"To be sure, we do not yet go to quite the length of enslaving the laborers. But I fear it is approaching that. The capitalist does not now have to feed his workmen when they are not working, as he would were they considered his actual slaves.

"We are threatened by a great wage servitude. The country is now in the throes of a great strike in which labor is contending for its just rights.

"No manufacturer or set of employees has the right to cause the widespread distress that will follow a continuance of this strike. We should have laws that will restrain greedy capital."

The speaker closed amid hearty applause. Secretary Stevenson called upon Comrade Julius Miller of Washington, Pa., to respond, and he did so in a short address, which was pleasing to the soldiers.

The eulogy to the dead was delivered by Dr. W. E. VanOrsdell of Sharon. He spoke but a few moments, as it was decided before he assumed the platform to adjourn immediately after to the open, the heat being so oppressive.

Dr. VanOrsdell spoke of the feeling of sadness which oppressed him as he was called upon to speak of those comrades who have answered the last roll call and entered the land where all sorrows are forgotten. The doctor was eloquent in the expression of his feelings, and all within sound of his voice were affected. In conclusion he moved that the names of those Roundheads who had died since the last reunion be placed upon the roll of honor. The was carried by an unanimous rising vote.

Previous to this eulogy Secretary Stevenson made a report, showing that the finances of the association were in a healthy condition. He then read the list of those whose deaths had been reported since the last reunion, the names of whom will be found in another column.

The business meeting was held upon the grounds surrounding the courthouse. The first matter was the designation of the time and place of holding the next reunion.

Carnegie was chosen, and the first Wednesday of October, 1902, was the date selected.

The balance of the afternoon was spent in recalling scenes and incidents of the times when the Roundheads together risked health and life in defense of the Stars and Stripes. The election of officers results as follows:

President - George D. Forsythe of Carnegie, Pa.

Second Vice President - J. L. McFeeters of Pittsburg.

Recording Secretary - J. C. Stevenson of New Castle.

Corresponding Secretary - John H. Stevenson of Pittsburg.

Treasurer - Ira Cunningham of Wampum.

Chaplain - Rev. Dr. R. A. Browne of this city.

Auditors - R. A. Smith, three years; W. A. Clark, two years; Wm. Morrison, one year.



H. I. Cunningham treasurer, submitted the following report which was accepted and placed on file:



To balance from last report....$16.72

To amount received as dues....$39.50 $56.22



By cash paid Beaver Valley News printing circulars.. $12.99

Same parties for photo of General Leasure.....................3.00

Jas. C. Stevenson, salary as secretary............................10.00

Jas. C. Stevenson, postage..............................................2.00

By balance in treasury...................................................25.22 $56.22


The most important business of the meeting was the adoption of the new constitution which widens the list of elligibles to membership. Heretofore only persons who had served in the regiment and their male descendants were eligible. It now reads "Every enlisted soldier who served in the regiment and was honorably discharged, their fathers, mothers, wives or widows as well as all lineal descendants, and if any soldier of the regiment who fell in battle, died in the service, or since, leaving no descendants, a brother, sister, or lineal descendant of such brother or sister may become a member.

The camp fire, which was held in the opera house in the evening, proved to be one of the most enjoyable features of the reunion. General W. A. Clark of Neshannock Falls, presided, and interesting addresses were made by W. B. Underwood of Washington, Pa., Dr. W. E. VanOrsdell of Sharon, J. C. Stevenson of this city and Rev. Rankin, who was only with the regiment five days when he was taken prisoner.

Music of a patriotic nature was rendered by a choir of young women, and Miss Anna Gertrude Clark, whose solo in the afternoon delighted all, rendered fine selections in the evening. The maturity of the New Castle people returned home on a special train, which arrived at midnight.



The day was hot.

Mercer is an ideal town.

It is now President George B. Forsythe.

Every comrade present was glad he came.

The unanimous opinion is that Mercer did the handsome in every manner particular.

Preserve this paper, in one hundred years from now it will be worth one dollar.

The old boys and many of the old girls enjoyed each other's company on the village green.

The Pittsburg boys thought Mercer too dry a town. There will be no excuse for them next year.

Prof. Wheeler's large choir of lady singers added materially to the success of the reunion.

Charles H. Anderson of Webster, Westmoreland county, was the only representative of Co. M.

It would have gladdened the heart of Chaplain Browne could he have heard the many inquiries made concerning him.

Captain Joseph H. Gilliland and daughter were the guests of Comrade George W. Neil of the 10th Pa. Reserves.

Miss Clark and her accompanist, Miss Caldwell, both daughters of Roundheads, were very popular, and were frequently encored.

Joseph Kelso of Co. G, of Grand Island, Neb., was present, after an absence of 24 years. His comrades were glad to see Joe looking so well.

Lieutenant James Offutt of Co. E., from Eugene City, Oregon, met his comrades for the first time since the war. But few of them knew him.

The Washington county comrades remained over in Mercer until today. They seemed to enjoy their visit to Mercer since it seceded from old Washington in the year 1800.

The "Jeff Davis" gavel sent from Fitzgerald, Ga., by Comrade C. C. Lobindier, was used to call attention.

Comrade Lobingier and family are now members of a soldiers' colony there.

General Maxwell, the second and last colonel of the Roundheads, now adjutant of the Soldier and Sailors home at Erie, was looking fine. He is a great favorite of all those who served under him in the final battles of the war.

John Glenn, of Company C, the smallest man in the regiment, was present although totally blind. It was his brother, R. N. Glenn, of Co. E., who was saved from drowning by the colored woman referred to in the account of the sinking of the West Point.

Treasurer H. I. Cunningham interviewed the comrades present in the amount of half a dollar, those who failed to find him, as well as those who cannot attend, can send their remittance by mail and due credit will be given. His address is Wampum, Pa.



Son of General Isaac I. Stevens Writes to Secretary Stevenson.

A letter which will be of interest to all members of the Roundhead regiment has been received by Secretary J. C. Stevenson from Hazard Stevens, son of General Isaac I. Stevens, the first division commander of the regiment. General Stevens was killed in the battle of Chantilly, Va., Sept. 1, 1862. His son thus has a particular bond of sympathy with the Roundheads and as he was unable to attend the reunion he sent a message bearing his regards:

Boston, Aug. 11, 1901.

James C. Stevenson, Esq.

Dear Sir and comrade - I regret that I am unable to accept your kind invitation to meet the Roundheads the 21st. It would afford me great pleasure to do so, and to take by the hand again my former comrades although many of those I knew best have passed on. When we first met your regiment at Annapolis the pride and confidence of Colonel Leasure in his Roundheads seemed almost extravagant, but we soon learned that it was well deserved. You had patriotism, courage, intelligence, were always willing to learn, and amenable to discipline. General Stevenson fell (illegible) upon you and the greatest esteem. In his life I have tried to do you justice by a simple narration of what you did while under his command, for in your case the simple facts are stronger than words of eulogy. Your record from the bloody assault on James Island to the day of your muster out is indeed a glorious one, and deserves and ought to have a more full and complete regimental history than it has yet received.

Express to your comrades my kindest regards and wishes for their continued welfare, with a pleasant reunion and many more of them.

Sincerely your friend and comrade,




They rallied for our Country,

And for human freedom too,

And bravely met the traitors

'Neath the red, white and blue.


And some were as brown as the tawny South

And some like dawn were fair;

And here was the lad with the girlish mouth,

And there was the brow of care.


But whether from farm or fold they drew,

From the shop or the school boys seat.

Each shouldered his musket and donned the blue

And time with his brogans beat.



List of Roundheads Who Have Passed Into the Great Beyond Recently.

Feelings of sadness must inevitably be mingled with the pleasure of each reunion of the Veterans of the civil war, for each succeeding year makes greater gaps in the ranks of the men who stood shoulder to shoulder during the battles of the war. Since the last reunion of the Roundhead regiment many of (illegible) called to answer the summons of the Death Angel and regret for the comrades who would meet with them no more served to temper the joy experienced in again meeting the living and spending a few hours in recalling the experiences of the long years spent together upon the field of arms.

Secretary J. C. Stevenson of the Roundhead society, furnished the following roster of those who have passed away since the last reunion, included in this being some who died previously, but had not been reported:

Major James H. Cline, died near Princeton, Pa., July 31, 1900.

Adjutant Henry M. Dugan, died at Washington, Pa., July 7, 1901.


Company A. -

William Claffey, died at Dixmont March 5, 1901.

Thomas J. Conboy, died at Denver, Col., October 29, 1900.

Lieutenant William Ocker, died at Wheeling, W. Va., March 31, 1901.

E. B. McElroy, died at Eugene City, Ore., May 4, 1901.

George W. Thompson, died at Washington, Pa., January 23, 1901.


Company B. -

J. R. Allen died at Franklin, Pa., February 21, 1895.

Stephen Henry, died April 4, 1901.

John B. Hollibough, died at Denver March 22, 1901.

Reuben Rice, died at New Castle October 29, 1900.


Company C. -

Orlando Hudson, died February 9, 1900.

James Irwin, died March 15, 1900.

Hugh Morrison, died at Bellevue, Pa., January 4, 1900.

Lieutenant Philo S. Morton, died at Clarion, Ia., October 31, 1900.

John C. Williams, died at Ashley, N. D., August 30, 1898.

John P. Hatch, died at Franklin May 30, 1895.

David S. Aiken, died at Roseberg, Ore., August 1, 1901.


Company D -

Lieutenant John C. Hart, died at New Brighton August 21, 1900.

George Veon, died at Beaver Falls July 16, 1900.


Company E -

Lieutenant S. J. Book died at Tullahoma, Tenn., March 24, 1901.

Samuel Bricker, died t Mercersburg, Pa., April 20, 1900.

Aaron Glenn, died at Dixmont, Pa., January 3, 1900.

George Maxwell, died at Cambridge January 19, 1901.

Robert J. Russell, died at Washington D. C., October 12, 1900.

Solomon Thuringer, died at Leavensorth, Kan., February 7, 1900.

Charles Bates, died May 12, 1899.


Company F. -

George Bear, died January 28, 1900.

Robert S. Drake, died at Haselton, O., November 27, 1899.

John Sharp, died November 14 (?), 1900.


Company G -

Samuel Beams, died May 30, 1900.

Conrad Bentel, died at Dayton, O., June 19, 1900.

Wescott Corbin, died May 4, 1899.

John Lockhart, died at Sharon June 3, 1901.

Francis Swank, died August 18, 1899.


Company H -

William Albright, died June 5, 1900.

James L. Davis, died at Allentown, Pa., August 7, 1900.

Zebulon Elliott, died at Lenexa, Kan., October 5, 1898.

Plimpton Leech, died at Greenville August 12, 1900.

James A. Neal, died at Federman, W. Va., January 20, 1901.

John O'Neil, died at Milwaukee September 10, 1899.

James Weiber, died May 3, 1901.


Company K -

Ed C. Darley, died at Chicago February 16, 1901.

John R. Haskins, died in New Jersey, December 31, 1900.

William D. Johnston, died Mary 5, 1901.

Samuel Williams, died at New Castle, May 25, 1901.



Member of Roundheads Writes From Missouri to His Comrades.

The following letter received by Secretary James C. Stevenson of the Roundhead regiment from a former resident of this county will be read with interest:


May Day, Mo., Aug. 11, 1901.

"Jas. C. Stevenson, Secretary Roundhead society, New Castle, Pa.

"My Dear Comrade - Your very kind favor of July 31 is at hand and I hasten to reply.

"I would be delighted to be with you at Mercer, and shake hands once more with all the boys, but this is impossible, as I am now in my 86th year, having been born in Beaver county, February 5, 1816.

"I enlisted in Company F, of the Roundheads at Princeton, August 28th 1861, and was discharged October 13, 1862, at Beaufort, S.C., to be promoted captain and recruiting officer of negro troops.

"My experience was remarkably varied. I was over age when I enlisted. I promised the boys - to many of whom I had been their family physician since they were born - that I would go with and care for them as much as I could. This I did to the best of my ability.

"The comrades will remember that when an emergency came I went into the medical department and served them there.

"In the spring of 1862 I commenced the organization of colored men as soldiers.

"You are no doubt aware that I enlisted and swore into service of the United States the first colored men taken into the army.

"As early as June I sent from Beaufort to Hilton Head nearly 100 recruits, sworn in, clothed in blue, drilled and equipped as United States soldiers. I sent another squad in July. These, however, were nearly all disbanded on the 9th of August.

"On the 13th day of October, '62, we commenced recruiting again, under orders from the government - the first recruiting was done under orders of Major General Hunter, department commander.

"During my service with the colored troops I was twice in the medical service and twice in the military: was sent by General Hunter on several secret expeditions, but I expect to tell this more fully in a book I am preparing for publication.

"The first five years after the war I lived in South Carolina.

"In 1869 I came to Kansas, where I have lived ever since.

"I have a 160-acre farm, good house, good orchards, get $20 per month pension, happy as a woodchuck.

"Remember me to Dr. Ludington, Chaplain Browne, and all the boys of Company F.

"My son, F. F. Randolph, lives at Marysville, Marshall county, Kansas.

"Enclosed fine $1 for association.




Medical Man Who Attended Sick Soldiers Addresses Them.

Dr. Horace Ludington, surgeon of the Roundheads, was unable to be present at the reunion at Mercer Wednesday in the flesh, but he was there in spirit. He expressed his regrets in a letter addressed to his former comrades which was received by Secretary Stevenson. Dr. Ludington is at present located in Omaha, Neb. After the war he located in Pittsburg and subsequently removed to Cincinnati. He resided there until 1878. As his health was failing he went west and has since been living in Omaha. He is now connected with the quarter-master's department, in charge of the money and auditing department, in the chief quartermaster's office. His letter follows:


Army Building, Omaha, Neb., Aug. 14, 1901

Jas. C. Stevenson, secretary 100th Pa. Vet., Vol., New Castle, Pa. - My Dear Sir - Yours enclosing notice of the annual reunion of the "Roundheads" duly received. Thanks for your care and interest in keeping record of the whereabouts of "the boys." When reading the names of the recent dead memory carries me back to the days when each man of the regiment - though a stranger to me in 1861 - became soon thereafter personally known to me. What was the feeling of those men for me I could not always know. Yet knowing them and realizing my responsibility to them, each was bound to me not with bonds of steel, but with that bond which only soldiers can know - a bond for life - where had-clasp or elbow touch said "Yours 'till death." Rapidly they are now passing away, while we who survive say with bowed head and sorrowful hearts, "Good-bye until we meet." It is an annual regret that I cannot be present at the reunion, for dearly would I love to meet and greet each one of the survivors who keep green the memories of 1861 - 1865. Yet being denied this privilege I ask you to say for me, sincerely, 'God bless and keep you, the boys of the 100th Pa. Volunteers.

Very sincerely yours.


Late Surgeon 100th Pa. Vols.



The manuscript of Roster will be put into the hands of a printer by the 1st of October and it is very important that all those who have not filled out and returned the historical blanks sent them do so at once.

It will be a handsome book containing a large number of pictures and the name of every volunteer who serve in the regiment, telling what became of him, and the postoffice address of the survivors as far as can be learned before going to press.

The printing alone will cost over one hundred dollars, but this will not be much when divided among so many. Nearly one-half this amount has already been contributed.

If the comrades who cannot attend our reunion could realize the measure it gives those who do attend looking at the photographs of the absent ones there would be more of them sent. The small halftone cuts used in this paper were made for use in the Roster, and will look very much better when printed on fine book paper.

Any member of the regiment can have his picture in Roster and entered in history by sending with photograph two dollars to pay cost of making the electrotype.

The reunion badge used at Mercer with a small photograph of General Leasure, will be sent any one who acknowledges receipt of this paper and encloses ten cents.

Fraternally yours,




I will pay ten cents per copy for a few numbers of The Volunteer, dated April, May, July September and October, 1888. May, September and October, 1889, and January, 1890.

I will send four numbers of late dates for 10 cents.




Boat Bearing 250 Sick and Injured Soldiers Sank in the Potomac.

One of the most heartrending disasters of the Civil war was the sinking of the hospital ship West Point in the Potomac river. This occurred upon the 13th of August, 1862, so last Tuesday marked the 39th anniversary of the closing of the lives of hundreds of brave Union soldiers, who died without being able to aid themselves in any way.

There were 79 members of the Roundhead regiment on board the West Point when the disaster occurred and nearly all of the older residents will remember only too well of the sinking of the steamer. The following graphic description of the sad event is from the pen of one of the best known of the New Castle men who served with the Roundheads.

"About 8 o'clock on the morning of August 13th, 1862, the hospital steamer West Point left Fortress Monroe laden with about 250 convalescent soldiers and a few civilians, bound for Alexandria, Va.

"About 8 or 9 o'clock the same evening a collision took place between our boat and another named George Peabody and stove in the bow of the West Point so badly that she sunk in about twenty minutes in twenty-four feet of water and over a mile from shore.

"John Jay of Company I, in a letter home to his sister in New Castle, gave his experience as follows; I cannot describe the sinking of the boat and the scene on board but I will tell you how I saved myself. When the boat struck I was lying in the ladies' cabin, just fixed for a night's sleep. I jumped up and ran out to see what was the matter. I found some of the men very much excited while others said we were all right. I thought we were safe and lay down again. In a short time the boat filled with steam and we could not see for a few moments, but thinking we might be in shallow water, as we were more than two miles from shore, I ran for the hurricane deck.

"I had not been on deck more than three minutes until the bow went under and it was not log until the stern followed suit, so that the men on the upper deck stood in water up to their necks. Some got planks and bits of boards and swam away from the boat, while others who could not swim stuck to the wreck.

"I had procured a board and thought that I was all right for staying up, but there was a man beside me who could not swim, and he begged for it so fervently that I gave it to him and swam back to the boat and got a portion of the walking beam. I stood there until it got so crowded that it was not safe to stay any longer so I left it and swam for the smokestack, reaching it in safety, where I hung about half an hour when boats came to save us. While there I saw a man that was very weak hanging to the rigging of the mast until he could hold no longer, when a negro woman took hold of him and held him up until relief came.

"The first boat to arrive was the Reliance. She fired her signal gun and in a short time there were a number of life boats about us and they soon had all the survivors on board.

"I was put on the Reliance, after being in the water about an hour and a half and taken the next day to Fairfax Seminary hospital, about four miles from Alexandria, Va.

"Another comrade who was on the West Point said it sank in about ten minutes in four fathoms, (24 feet), of water; that there were 279 soldiers aboard and seventy-three drowned.

"The following Roundheads met a watery grave: Thomas McKeever, Co. A; Franklin Pinkerton and Josiah C. Golden, Co.. B; Robert Culbertson, Andrew Hanna and Isaiah Trump, Co. D; John Mollin, Co. H: J. Johnson and Charles Warne, Co. M.

"The following were saved - Frederick Rau, Col. A: J. N. Martin A. J. Palmer, Peter Stafford, J. T. Clark, Co. B; Thos. N. Miles, Co. C; W. B. Brown, W. Davidson, H. McElheny, J. N. Mather, J. B. McFarland, Co. D, Alex. Armstrong, R. N. Glenn, William Harlan, Thomas Hanna, Alex Hanna, Col. E: R. S. Drake, Henry Fieldgrove, J. C. Shafer, Wm. S. Wagner, C. B. Welch, Co. F: S. B. Campbell, W. G. Dickson, John F. Grace, Caezar Gorlatt, A. W. McGee, Co. G: A. Buckalwe, W. Campbell, John Jay, John Jones, J. Kelley, E. N. Waterson, Philip Wagner, Co. H: Robert Graham, C. Zeuke, Co. I: J. P. Culbertson, Herman Geiske, Co. K: Samuel Alton, Joseph Allen, H. A. Bathurst, J. J. Crouch, W. Foster, Alex. Haney, J. Johnston, G. Kerr, Michael Lane, G. Lucy, Robert M. Thomas, Co. M."

The headquarters for the day and evening will be at the opera house where, during the afternoon, a program of interesting exercises will be rendered, and at the same place a camp fire will be held in the evening. the following program and list of committees has been handed us for publication:



The meeting of the association will be held at the opera house, opening at 1 o'clock p. m. when the following roster of exercises will be observed:

Invocation - Rev. Thos. W. Douglass.

Vocal Music,

Address of welcome - Hon. J. G. White.

Response by members of Roundhead Association.

Reading minutes of last meeting.

Report of secretary as to present condition of association.

Vocal music.

Reading names of those who have died since last reunion.

Eulogy on the dead - Comrade Dr. W. E. VanOrsdale.

Vocal music.

Miscellaneous business.



A camp fire will be held at the opera house in the evening, opening at 8 o'clock under the direction of the Roundhead association. There will be brief addresses by members, recitations, army stories, singing patriotic airs, etc. The camp fire will be open to all, and a cordial invitation to attend is extended.

The several committees having the matter in charge are composed of the following named gentlemen:

Arrangements - Capt. C. W. Whistler, Frank A. Filson and C. G. Byers.

Entertainment - Robert Orr, A. B. Filson, George Kelso.

Reception - Alex. Donaldson, W. A. Easlick, W. P. Aubeny, C. W. Tittsler, Thos. Bestwick, Chas. Clawson.

Decorations - Joseph B. Nickum, Robert G. Madge, George W. Noll.

Capt. C. W. Whistler will officiate as marshal, with E. C. Thompson and C. G. Byers as assistants.




John R. Hollibaugh of Co. B, 100th P. V., died at his home in Denver, Col., March 22nd, 1901.

Comrade Hollibaugh was one of the youngest members of the regiment having enlisted in Captain Oliver's company when they were at home on veteran furlough, March 9th, 1864, at the age of 17 years.

He performed his duties as a soldier faithfully and well, and was mustered out with the regiment July 24th, 1865.

No sooner had he donned the citizens barb than he applied his active mind to the study of civil engineering, and became quite proficient as a mining engineer.

In 1879 he went to Colorado and locating at Leadville, he remained there for eight years, when he removed to Joplin, Mo., and engaged in lead and zinc mining.

In 1895 he married Miss Annie G. Clutter of Denver, where his latch-string hung out for his comrades who would visit him. He was an enthusiastic Grand Army man, and good speaker and was present at our reunion at Rock Point in 1895, making the principal address.

He took great pride in the services of the Roundhead regiment, and he wrote several valuable articles which were published in the National Tribune.

He was also a writer of valuable works on lead and zinc mining, which are being published by the Scientific Publishing company of New York.

Besides the widow he leaves one child Helen N. Hollibaugh, who will be three years old August 25th.

The funeral was attended by Platte Post G.A.R., of which he was a member.



Confederate Veteran Pays Honor to Memory of Capt. S. J. Book.

The announcement some time ago in The News of the death of Captain Samuel J. Book, of Co. E of the famous Roundhead regiment, was received with the greatest sorrow by his old comrades and friends in this city and county, He died at Tullahoma, Tenn., on the 24th of last March, where he had been residing for many years.

When he went there to settle over 30 years ago he was waited on by a party of Confederate soldiers, who told him that he would not be permitted to live there. He coolly informed them that he intended to stay right where he was. He further explained that he had been very badly wounded by one of their party in the Civil war and that his health was so much shattered in consequence that he could not stand the northern climate.

He relied upon his right as an American citizen to reside where he pleased under the protection of the Stars and Stripes and he continued to live in the community from which he had been warned to depart, until he answered the final call.

That he lived and died respected by those who had fought upon the opposite side is shown from a letter received by J. C. Stevenson of this city, secretary of the Roundhead association, from a Confederate soldier of Tullahoma, Tenn. The letter follows:


"Tullahoma, Tenn., Aug. 12, 1901.

"Jas. C. Stevenson, Sec'y - Your comrade, my friend, S. J. Book, has answered the last call. God, our sovereign Ruler, took him to his reward. In his death gloom not only came to his true and devoted wife and loving children, but it mantled our community. Noble by nature, generous in his impulses, charitable in thought and action he won the distinction enjoyed in this community of being a good husband, kind father, true patriot and christian gentleman. Following the light of his convictions he gave the service of his young manhood in the cause of liberty and humanity amid the tragic scenes of war. With a constitution shattered upon the field of strife he turned when the conflict subsided to the peaceful walks of life, probing himself a worthy citizen and filling with satisfaction positions of trust in the branches of civil government, national and municipal. In his deep reverence for God and the mysteries of His government he recognized the frailties of human life and sought and desired to walk in the faith that leads to the brilliant paths of charity beneath the peaceful folds of the curtains of hope that swing from the borders of eternity. He loved his church and had pity for the distressed condition of human life. He cheerfully extended aid and comfort in the hour of deepest distress.

"On account of the esteem I hold for Mr. Book and family I offer these statements, together with my sympathy - noble acts and christian virtues cannot die.

"Permit me to say that I am ex-mayor of this town, and that I am an ex-Confederate soldier, commanded company C, 4th Confederate regiment, Cheatham division.

"I rejoice with you in the expanding greetings of good will throughout our common country.

"Truly and respectfully,



Accompanying the letter was the following from a daughter of Captain Book:

"J. C. Stevenson. Dear Friend: - The above letter to your company reunion has been written by one of papa's many Confederate friends; it represents the esteem in which he was held in this, the enemy's country. I cannot tell you with what sadness our hearts are filled when we realize that he can no longer be with you, the 'boys' of his beloved company, even in spirit. We his children, cherish your organization and shall ever do what we can to perpetuate the memory of the 100th Pa. Vol. With deepest regard, believe me.




Mrs. John Blevins Has Two Hardtack From That Place.

Two dry and solid cakes of hardtack were shown the Roundheads at the Mercer reunion Wednesday that had been doled out by the Confederates at Libby prison to the unfortunate Union captives there. These were the property of Mrs. John Blevins of North street. Some years ago she received them from Samuel Barnes, to whom they had been given as rations just before he was released from Libby at the close of the war. The cakes were made in Pittsburg and bore the stamp of S. S. Marvin. They attracted much attention from the soldiers.



David S. Aiken, a former Lawrence county resident, and a member of the Roundhead regiment, has passed away, he being the last of that famous organization to join the silent majority. His death occurred at Roseburg, Ore., on the 1st of this month, although word of the sad event has just reached this city. He was a brother of 'Squire E. E. Aiken, one of the best known residents of the eastern part of the county. David S. Aiken was a member of Company C of the One Hundredth regiment and made a splendid record as a soldier.



Comrade William A. Kerr of Co. E. 100 P. V. I., answered the last roll call Saturday at the home of William Bently in Mercer. He was about 65 years of age and had been in feeble health for some months. He enlisted on Aug. 31, 1861, and served with honor until July 24, 1865, only lacking one month of having served four years. He formerly resided with Robert Burnside at Harlansburg. He was well known in this county. He was a single man, and drew a pension of $20 per month. He is survived by three brothers, James, Frank and Joseph and two sisters, Mrs. Powell and Mrs. _____, all of Titusville. Comrade Kerr was a brave soldier and was universally respected by all who knew him.



It is a matter of deep regret to all the Roundheads that Chaplain R. A. Browne of this city was unable to meet with them at the Mercer reunion. Every member of the 100th regiment cherishes the warmest feelings for the one who was not only their spiritual leader during the civil war, but ho also fought side by side with them in times of need. Owing to feeble health Dr. Browne was forced to absent himself from the gathering at Mercer, and on all sides expressions of regret were heard concerning this.




Organizer and First Colonel of the Roundheads: Born March 18, 1819; Died in St. Paul, Minn., October 4, 1886. Buried Greenwood Cemetery, New Castle, Pa.




Lieutenant-Colonel Roundheads. Resigned July 12, 1862. Born January 1st, 1819. Died April 16, 1891.




Second Colonel of the One Hundredth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers.




Lieutenant Colonel One Hundredth Pennsylvania Veteran Vols. Killed at Fort Steadman, Va., March 25, 1865.




Born September 18, 1836; Died July 31, 1900.




Captain Co. C, 100th Pa. Vol. Born near Tarentum, Pa., Sept. 10th, 1825; died on the Kangwha River, W. Va., January 11th, 1862; buried in Grove cemetery, New Brighton, Pa.




Born December 25, 1825; Died in Hospital in Washington from Wounds Received June 17, 1864, in Front of Petersburg, Va.; Buried in Neshannock Cemetery, Northern Part of Lawrence County.




Company A. 100th Pa. Vol. Born in Washington county, Pa., March 2, 1831; killed in charge on railroad cut in second battle of Bull Run. August 29, 1862.




Chaplain of the Roundheads. Born December 3, 1821, Living in New Castle, Pa.




Adjutant of One Hundredth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers. Killed in Battle of Mine, Petersburg, Va., July 30, 1864. Body Fell Into Hands of Enemy and was never recovered.




First lieutenant Company K, 100th Pa. Vol. Born October 9th, 1838; killed in front of Petersburg July 30th, 1864.




Sergeant Company C, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers, Born in Philadelphia, September 10, 1838; died in Bellvue, Allegheny County, Pa., January 4, 1900. Buried at Butler, Pa.







First lieutenant Co. D, 100th Pa. Vol. Born August 29th 1840; died August 23d, 1900.




First Lieutenant Company E, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers. Born in Butler county, Pa., November 30, 1839; Died in Tullahoma, Tenn., March 24, 1901.




Born April 1st, 1810; died April 1st, 1865.




Corporal Company H, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers, and Treasurer of the Roundhead Society. Living in Wampum, Pa.




Sergeant Co. C, 100th Pa. Vol. Born December 1st, 1840; killed May 12th, 1864.




Company B, 100th Pa. Vol. Presiding officer at the camp fire. Proprietor Neshannock Falls Summer resort.




Sergeant Co. E, 100th Pa. Vol. Born September 20th, 1838. Secretary Roundhead society since 1873. Postoffice, New Castle, Pa.




Company E, 100th Pa. Vol. Regimental color bearer. Born April 13, 1844. Living in Youngstown, O.




Private Company K, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers. Born Near North Liberty, Mercer County, Pa. Died near Sharpsburg, Allegheny County, Pa., August 6, 1898.




Captain Company K, 100th Pa. Vol. Born March 10th, 1842; died September 18th, 1868.







Private Company B, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers. Living and Practicing Dentistry in Sharon, Pa.

Back to Reunions Page